Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Mother's Day 2017

This year's Mother's Day was slightly different than in the past.  We made our first outing to the campground for the season on Mother's Day weekend.  The weather was just perfect.  It was a bit chilly in the evenings, but the days were perfect with warm sunshine and a gentle breeze.  The kids put on a lot of miles playing.



Everyone was so very good on the entire trip.  Vera lucked out and had a classmate, Jenna, camping right across the road from our site.  She was thrilled to have a playmate and the girls were inseparable the entire weekend.  Vera hardly had time to eat as she couldn't wait to get back to playing.  We did enforce a nap for all kids on Saturday afternoon, and though it was against her will, Vera was sound asleep in no time.  Even at dusk when it was time to park the bicycles and sit by the campfire, Vera was sad to leave her friend until morning.









Vince was his typical self the entire weekend.  Within 15 minutes of being at the campground, Vince managed to run his tricycle through smeary mud.  His bike, shoes and pant legs were caked in mud.  The mud didn't slow him down a bit.  He stayed busy all weekend riding his bike, playing trucks, pushing his lawn mower and keeping up with the older kids.  At bedtime and nap time, he was dead tired but refused to give up and rest.  It resulted in screaming, flailing and fighting until he gave in and let his little body rest.



We learned that Annie must wear a seat belt in the bike trailer.  Adam caught her climbing out while the trailer was moving.  Her little shoes were rubbing against his bicycle tire.  Ornery, ornery girl!
Annie was a champ all weekend.  She ate like a rock star (no surprise there) and laid down willingly in her bed when it was time for sleep.  We joked that she marched around the campsite so proudly, as if she owned it all.  We had to keep an eye on her, but overall she was happy roaming, playing and watching the older kids.  At one point, we did lose her briefly.  We found her at the next campsite sitting on Jenna's grandma's lap.  Jenna's grandma said she walked over and willingly climbed in her lap...a little bit cute and a little bit scary.  Typical Annie.  She's just so ornery!







As the camping trip came to an end, I found myself feeling a bit daunted by the laundry and work that lie ahead for my Mother's Day.  But, at the same time, it was a nice day.  We were home around noon and were able to unpack and clean up fairly quickly.  Adam and the kids worked on planting the garden, and I was able to find some time to myself later in the afternoon.  Vera made me an adorable card at school with the phrase "Love you to pieces" written inside.  I loved it, especially because I often said that to her when she was a little younger.  Patty helped Vince make a poster and a delicious treat for me.  Adam and the kids also surprised me with a nice massage tool to use at home when I'm feeling sore and stiff.  Great gifts.  Great kids.  Great day.







One specific memory of the day that I want to document...  I was helping Vin go to the bathroom.  When he was done, he looked at me and said, "That make you happy, mom?!"  I gave him a hug and told him that his hugs also make me happy.  Then I asked him what makes him happy, and he showed me this face.  Love that boy!


We ended the day with milkshakes and ice cream for all, which was a fun surprise for me.
Our first ice cream of the season!



Throughout the day, I also spent some time reflecting on Mother's Day.  I found myself thinking about my own mom and all that she is.  She's the lady who taught my sisters and I to be the doers and planners.  She's the lady who realizes opportunity and jumps on it when it comes along.  She's instilled in us the phrase, "if you're going to do something, do it right."  Growing up, we lived "in the house Peg built" and there aren't many tools that mom hasn't operated.   She also taught me how to be a mom.  Once I became a mom, I learned how much to appreciate my mom and all that she does for me.  Thanks mom, for always being my number 1 fan, even when there were days...

Isn't this so true!!??


I also thought about all of those women who act as mothers for my children & I.  My mother-in-law is always there to help, even at a moment's notice.  My sisters and sister in laws are best friends for life.  Talking with them always makes me feel normal.  Our babysitter Patty, how can we possibly thank her for fostering the development and positive environment for my children to grow?!  To my aunts who are like sisters, mothers and grandmothers to me and my children.  It truly does take a village!  Thank you for being blessings in our life! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment