Monday, February 18, 2013

Lent 2013

I'll be honest.  Lent is not my favorite time of year.  But, like a good little Catholic family, we abstain from meat on Fridays, make sacrifices, and do extra things along the way.   This year, I decided to give up coffee.  I wouldn't say that I have to have coffee every morning.  It's more like something I enjoy.  I only have one cup, and it's just enough to get me going...especially during the cold winter months.  Sound familiar, mom?  So, no more coffee.  I washed up my coffee cups and put them away until the end of March. 



Adam and I also decided to give up "being on our phones and/or ipad" after 7pm.  We have become really bad at spending most of the evening (especially after Vera goes to bed) online doing whatever it is that we do.  No worries though, if you text us, we can text back.  Initiating texts is not allowed.  And, if you're working on things related to your job, that's also legit.  Pretty technical rules, huh?!  This was Adam's idea.  But, I agree it's a good one.

So, since we can't be on our phones in the evening, I decided to start reading a book.  It's actually a book that was handed out at Christmas mass at church.  I thought it'd be good for me to read this during Lent.  And, actually it's been really good.  It may look familiar to some of you...



Something that was brought up in the book is also something that's really been bothering me for the last few weeks.  I was telling Adam and some of my coworkers that I feel like my family and I are becoming a minority.  I don't mean to sound like I am superior to everyone else.  It just seems like the values, belief systems, cultural upbringing, and family dynamic that my family and I subscribe to is becoming the minority.  And, honestly, I'm not ok with it.  I see so much at my job that is "wrong" but our society is becoming immune to the dysfunction, lack of parenting, freeloading...and slowly, these things are becoming accepted.  So, here's what the book says:

The author suggests that there are 3 major philosophies that our modern culture has constructed.  They are individualism, hedonism, and minimalism. 

Individualism is the "What's in it for me?"  or the all-consuming concern only for self. 
Hedonism is the "If it feels good, do it!" idea, or that pleasure is the ultimate goal in life.
Minimalism is "What's the least I can do?" or exerting minimal effort to receive maximum reward.

Now, I'm not trying to be a Bible-beater or great philosopher.  In fact, I hated the one philosophy class I took in college.  But, according to the book, "Any community that adopts these philosophies, whether that community is as small as a family or as large as a nation, does so at its own peril.  A philosophy is a way of life.  Individualism, hedonism and minimalism will destroy every individual and community that practices them.  They are ultimately self-destructive philosophies that destroy body, heart, mind and soul" (36).

Very interesting, don't you think?  I don't know about you, but I feel like I see these attitudes all around me.  I'm even guilty myself at times.  I could go on and on about this.  I'll spare you of that.  For some reason, this chapter really jumped out at me and explained a few things about why I feel like I'm becoming the minority.  I will certainly take this opportunity to admit that I am not a perfect person, nor is my family.  But, this definitely gave me something to think about.

I'm interested to read the rest of the book.  No guarantees though.  Reading is not my favorite pass time.  I'm only on page 49.  I'll let you know if there's anything else I should share.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment