Friday, January 1, 2016

Out with the Old, In with the New...

2015 was a really good year.  For our family, the highlights were moving to our new house (on Valentine's Day in a white-out blizzard) and welcoming sweet baby Annie to our family.  I was so fortunate to stay home for 12 weeks of maternity leave.  I had an awesome sub, and from what I gather, things at school went very, very well.

And now, as we turn to 2016, I return to work.  Maternity leave is over.  It's so bittersweet.  I am really excited to go back and see my coworkers and have adult interaction.  A new routine will be good for us, though I know it will present many challenges as well.  But, like all working moms, it's going to be tough to leave my sweet babe with a babysitter and accept that my special time with her has come to an end.

I had a great maternity leave.  The fall weather was perfect.  We had so many sunshiny days that lifted my spirits when I was sleep deprived or overwhelmed.  Warmer days made it easier to get out, even just to run into town, so I didn't go stir crazy in the early weeks.  As I reflect on the conclusion of my maternity leave and the start of a new year, I find myself thinking about how much has changed in 3 months.  The first days and weeks at home were not easy.  I couldn't have done it without the help from our parents, and of course Adam.  He deserves a medal for balancing a chaotic home life with working 8-10 hour days.

Eventually I accepted the challenge of taking Vera to preschool and Vin to Patty's on my own.  I had so many mornings of yelling and frustration, which led to deep guilt for yelling and getting frustrated.  But, I learned what worked.  If we were to get Vera to preschool on time, I had to be ready before anyone woke up.  Non negotiable.  It was so hard to make myself get up and get going some mornings when I'd just settled into restful sleep.  Some mornings I pumped, in the bathroom, as I dried my hair and I got ready.  If didn't have to nurse Anne after the older 2 were awake and trying to get ready, it saved my sanity.  Chaos prevention.  It was faster and more efficient to feed a bottle.

Honestly, the physical dropping off of Vera and Vin was the easy part of the morning.  I could handle all 3 at preschool.  The breakfast, getting dressed, fixing hair, putting on shoes, remembering school necessities, and getting out the door was the hard part.  More than once, I meant to pack Vera's lunch and completely forgot.  Thank goodness we kept diapers and wipes at Patty's house.  A diaper bag was one less thing to get ready and grab as we left the house each day.

These days, I won't say it's easy, but it's much easier.  Anne is more predictable.  Vin is easy to get ready (provided he doesn't make a huge mess with his breakfast.)  Vera is always the variable.  She can be so good some mornings.  Other days she's quite pokey and absentminded; she needs constant prodding as she gets ready.

Maternity leave was also a time for me to get a few things done around home.  I don't know how I would've been ready for Christmas if I were working.  I was able to do a few small projects, catch up on errands and my to-do list.  The older 2 were gone almost every day to the babysitter, so I was able to keep the house together and give Anne all of my time and attention.  When the older 2 came home at the end of the work day, I was ready for them to be home and enjoyed their company in the evenings, even though our evenings were pretty crazy!

The last two weeks, I've had everyone at home everyday.  I'm glad for that.  We've had a care-free and unstructured end to maternity leave.  It's nice to not have to leave the house in the mornings.  We can sleep in, take our time getting dressed, and enjoy our days at home.  The kids and I have had time to really play with their Christmas toys.

A festive breakfast
Annie Girl is such a good baby.  She is happy, predictable and so fun.  She smiles and coos generously, and I just love it.  Lately she's been sleeping through the night more consistently as long as she's swaddled tight.  She takes a bottle really well.  It's not stressful to feed her or get her to sleep.  And surprisingly, she does have a schedule despite the hustle and bustle of the recent holidays.  All of these things make me feel at ease as I return to work.




This was my last day at home alone with Anne before Christmas.  My Instagram caption said,"Last day of maternity leave with just this girl and I.  Enjoying my favorite things today: coffee and shopping online next to the glow of the Christmas tree, holding my baby while she naps and listening to the rain outside. #thebestdays."  


So, here's to a new year and a new beginning for our family.  Let's do this.  After all, if it is totally overwhelming and chaotic, it's only 6 months until summer break!  :)

Happy New Year, from my crew...




No comments:

Post a Comment