Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Little Miss Poultry Days

A few months ago, we mentioned something to Vera about Little Miss Poultry Days.  She seemed interested but also unsure.  Nothing more was said for quite a while.  Then, one day, my mom stopped over and Vera randomly asked her if she'd make a dress for her to wear at the "question pageant" at Poultry Days.  My mom (and I) were caught slightly off guard!  Vera really wanted to do it.  So, I investigated a little further, and asked around for dress ideas.  I continued to drag my feet in registering her, mostly because I was super busy at school and didn't have any good ideas for a dress (or the time to put dress ideas together!)  But finally, one week before Poultry Days, I signed her up.  We took the last spot; Vera was contestant #30!

I went to work in putting a dress together, and decided I would have to make the dress because we had very limited time.  I bought the fabric on Friday, went camping all weekend, and started on the dress on Sunday evening.  I worked later in the evenings, while the kids napped, and during the day in the rare moment when all was calm.  The dress was finished by Tuesday, and I must say that I was pretty proud of the finished product.  I am a very, very amateur seamstress.  I watched a few YouTube videos and did a lot of thinking and planning before cutting and stitching.  I only had to text my mom once with a question!  





Vera was super excited about the event.  On the night of the pageant, Kristina was the check-in lady, and that helped Vera stay calm.  Mrs. Wynk's daughter, Bailey, was also a contestant, so Vera was pretty happy to see her and talk with her.  It was a long wait for Vera's turn, but she did well.  On stage, she also did a really good job.  They asked about her siblings, her favorite farm animal, and her favorite color.  She had some trouble answering the "why" part of her favorite color, but did great nonetheless!

Waiting patiently...
We kept emphasizing that the most important part of Little Miss Poultry Days was to have fun.  Vera didn't really mind that she didn't win.  She was absolutely thrilled to come home with some flowers and a trophy.  Such a good idea by the organizers to do so.  It really makes the girls feel special about participating.  Thanks to all of the family and friends who came to watch her in the scorching hot gym!

She's next!!  The best for last.  :)







Perhaps the highlight of the entire thing was riding on the float in the parade.  She was really pumped about the opportunity!





No comments:

Post a Comment