Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Christmas Break

Christmas break comes to an end tomorrow morning.  Tear!  I can't believe how fast it's gone!  I know I've been so fortunate to be off so long, but it seems like we've been really busy the entire break!  We enjoyed lots of family time and plenty of time playing with new toys at home.  I was also able to accomplish a few things over break.  I took down the Christmas tree today.  It always makes me sad to do that just because it's the reality that Christmas is really over.  I really enjoy my tree and all of the other lights and decorations in the evenings.  But, it's ok to see my house get back to normal too.  Here's some of the photos from my time off...

 
One afternoon while we were playing, we had to take baby's clothes off to change her diaper.  Then, Vera ran off and said baby needed to take a bath.  Here she is laying in the sink.

We barely got Vera's new table in the door, and she was ready to have a tea party.

 
Watched some TV on the Mickey couch inside the princess house.
Movie Star Vera
She went outside to play briefly.  She has boots, gloves and a coat but no snow pants.  Mom is working on that.
For New Years Eve, we went to a hotel in Troy with some friends and everyone brought their kids.  Vera was absolutely thrilled to go swimming.  As we backed out the garage to leave for the hotel, she said, "C'mon mom & dad.  Let's go swimming!"  She ran ahead of the whole group on our way to the pool.  She just couldn't wait!  Vera loved every second of the pool and had no fear at all.
We practiced sitting on the potty.  No luck yet with that, but I guess we have to start somewhere.  She really likes to sit on the potty.  Good sign.
We've done our share of coloring too.  The new little table and chairs is going to be perfect for that!


Over break, we've had major struggles with sleeping at night.  Vera wakes up several times throughout the night and wants nothing but to be held or sleep in our bed.   We tried to tough it out.  The week of Christmas I had only one night of uninterrupted sleep.  It started to wear on me, especially because I'm not used to it.  So we decided to take the front off of Vera's crib.  So then it's like a toddler bed.  That didn't go well either.  A few times we found her sleeping on her bedroom floor.  We didn't hear her "fall out" or get up, so who knows how that happened.  Most of the time though, she would fall asleep, and then after about 3 hours, she'd get up, walk around and eventually find us in our room.  Last night was a real struggle; she would sleep in her bed as long as I slept on the floor next to her.  When I was sure she was sound asleep and tried to sneak out, sure enough she would pop up.  I rocked her and had her asleep and then after about 15 minutes in her bed, she was up again.  I even did the firm Peg Otte "lay down" voice a few times.  The worst part was that I took NyQuil before I went to bed because I'm fighting a cold.  I was like a zombie at 2am when I was up.  I was literally falling asleep kneeling beside Vera's bed.  Maybe Vera needs NyQuil!  After about 1.5 hours of this, I gave up and she ended up sleeping in our bed.  When that happens, we get no sleep because she flops around like a fish out of water while she sleeps.  I did sleep a little thanks to NyQuil.  So tonight, I told Adam to put the bed back together.  Jail is back.  At least we can let her cry and not have to worry about her trying to get up.  We're also going to put a night light in her room tonight to see if that helps.  I'm thinking about trying Tylenol too to see if maybe that will help her relax and stay sleep. 

I think the reason for the sleep trouble is a combo of things.  We're out of our routine, we're all fighting colds, and she's been overly tired some evenings.  I also wonder if she's starting to dream and then she gets scared.  I gave her a warmer blanket thinking she might get cold and then wake up.  I don't know.  I'll try anything.  I hope tonight is better, especially because everyone has to be up early for a full day tomorrow. 

Before we took the front off.  It's back to a crib now.  Sigh!

No comments:

Post a Comment