Thursday, September 19, 2013

Vera and Mommy Week

Adam is traveling this week for work.  He left for Montana at 5am on Monday and won't be back until Friday night around midnight.  It's been an exhausting week for me, but I've also had some fun enjoying Vera one-on-one.


All of Monday evening she talked about letters of the alphabet.  We went back and forth with letter sounds, she recognized some letters on my t-shirt, and we played with the alphabet flashcards.  She did some singing too.  "...the 'a' says 'ahh,' everybody make the sound, the 'a' says 'ahh.'  So funny.

Do you notice any patterns here?  She did this herself, and played for a solid 20 minutes with these letters.


We played outside on Tuesday evening for several hours.  Vera helped me do some work in the yard; she loves to be a helper.  She and I also played with sidewalk chalk and her toys.  We played in the backyard on the swings and slide.  We also snatched a few apples from Bonnie's apple tree and played with them.  Vera was so fascinated with apples growing on a tree, and even more excited about playing with them. 



I've had some interesting conversations with her this week too. 
*Last night she told me that it's really cold on Neptune. 
*Also last night she was telling me about patterns.  She was pointing to each of her toes saying, "big, little, little, little, little." 
*When we pulled into the garage one day this week she told me she has burrs on her car seat.  She's talking about little "pills" from some snags.  (How does she know what a burr is?)
*We're thinking about going to the zoo on Saturday, and she asked me tonight if we could see some mermaids at the zoo.  I'm really enjoying the mind of our two year-old right now.

Being a single parent for the week means doing the morning routine solo.  Vera does not handle being waken well.  It's always better if she wakes up on her own, but when her 6:30 wake up time rolls around, it isn't likely that she's going to wake on her own.  I've literally had to grab her by her ankles and drag her to the side of the bed and grab her to get her up.  Not so fun, but a necessary evil. 

We had a lot of fun tonight playing with Vera's newest toy.  Patty has been extra kind by buying the kids little treats for doing a good job with their school work.  Last week she got a glitter pony and this week she got two mermaid dolls.  It was fun to play with the mermaids and make them swim, comb their hair, and pretend.  I had never seen Vera pretend so well with dolls. 



Today I went to the book fair at school and bought several new books.  There are so many cool ones to choose from.  We read two of them tonight.  Vera thought this book was a hoot.  We read it twice in a row.



She's grown this week too; she looks taller to me.  She also has been a little more ornery with her glasses.  I've caught her all week taking her glasses off when we get home from school.  On Tuesday night, she walked into the kitchen to eat dinner and didn't have her glasses on.  I asked her where she put them, and I found them right where she told me.  Tuesday night she bent the nose piece when she had a crash landing on her slide.  Tonight she bent them pretty good trying to get them off her face while we were in the car.  The glasses certainly go through the wringer!  I guess it could be worse.

We're looking forward to daddy coming back home, but we did have a good week together!

No comments:

Post a Comment