Sunday, September 13, 2015

1st Day of Preschool

Vera's first day of preschool was Wednesday, September 2.  To say that she was excited is an understatement.

The night before, we fixed her hair really nicely so that in the morning, we'd just have to fix it up a little.  We laid out her clothes and talked about what she'd eat for breakfast.  We also filled out this page that I found online.  I wrote down the first answer she gave me, and I found some of her answers perfectly fitting (and pretty funny!)


It was a Tuesday evening, so Adam was at golf.  I put her to bed around 8, and read her this story that I chose on purpose.


The story talks about how if I kept you little, I'd miss out on all of the cool and special things you'll do someday when you're big.  I tucked her in and told her that I was so excited for her and her first day of preschool.  As I shut out the light and walked down the hall of a quiet house, I couldn't help but hold back my tears.  How could it be time for her to go to preschool already?  Where did the time go?  Am I really ready for this?  Is she?  Will she be a good friend at school and do what is right?  Will she be influenced by the kids who make bad choices?  What if she cries tomorrow?  It's so hard to let go...

In the morning, Vera woke up happy and was anxious to get going.  She ate her breakfast, got dressed and got ready without much whining or complaining.  Then, we took plenty of pictures.







We took off for Patty's house to drop of Vinners.  While I was taking Vince inside, Vera put her window down and gave Patty a big, excited wave.  Patty told her to have a great first day and waved back.  As we drove out of Versailles, Vera asked, "Are we there yet?" which is a very typical thing for her right now in the car.  Adam called her on our way to school and told her to have a great day.   He was excited for her, too.  As we pulled in the parking lot, Vera could hardly contain her excitement.  I helped her unbuckle and as she put on her backpack she said, "Preschool, here I come!"  She was just so excited.  She ran down the halls the whole way to her classroom as she hollered back, "Come on, mom!  Hurry up!"

When we arrived at her classroom, there was one other little boy there already.  Mrs. Clymer was the daycare teacher, and she happily greeted us.  Vera knew right where to put her backpack, and Mrs. Clymer took a few pictures for us.



I gave her a big hug, told her to have a great day, and reminded her that I'd be back to get her after school.  She happily said, "Bye, mom!" and I walked out.  I will honestly admit that her excitement made it so much easier on me!

As I walked out, I heard Vera talking to Mrs. Clymer about the fish aquarium in the room.  I also heard her tell Mrs. Clymer that her fish, Rockstar Ruby, died.  I laughed to myself.  She was there a whole two minutes and already sharing interesting and embarrassing details about our household.  I'm confident it won't be the last embarrassing thing she has to share.

I thought about her all day, and even walked down to the preschool to peek in her room a time or two.  I didn't want her to see me, but was curious how she was doing.  Each time, the door was closed, so I had no luck in spying on her.  ;)  They have a preschool daily routine so we have an idea of what they're up to and when.  I found myself checking that often to see what she might be doing.

At the end of the day, she was so excited to see me and had so much to tell me....
...she colored a picture for us.
...it was so loud in the cafeteria!
...they took her food away before she was done eating.  (She was not happy about this.  I warned her that if she did too much talking and poking around, they would do that and she would be hungry later.  It was not a shock to me that this happened.)
...one boy in a grey and blue striped shirt cried.
...they walk on the train tracks to get to lunch, and they have to wait on the train tracks until it's their turn.
...the playground was super fun.
...she played with a girl named Rose.
...they sat in a big circle and she got to sit next to Mrs. Wynk.
...at nap time she couldn't find her pillow or blanket and Mrs. Thomas had to help.
...they had two snacks.

When we got home, she wasn't really interested in telling her dad about her day.  Surprisingly, she was pretty good that evening.  We had expected her to be exhausted and grumpy.  She said she had a lot of fun at preschool, and she can't wait to go back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment