Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Back to School

My first day of school this year was September 1.  It really didn't feel real that summer was ending and school was starting.  I don't know why.  I always like the first day of school because the kids are excited (even if they won't admit it!) and everyone looks and dresses their best for the first day!  New folders, new shoes, new pencils and notebooks also seem to get kids just a little excited for another year of school.  On the other hand, as a teacher, the first day is also exhausting.  It involves a lot of talking and repetition.  It always takes me a few days to get back into the practice of standing and talking.

The kids also had an adjustment to our back to school routine.  It was a long week.  The kids (and I) were exhausted when we got home.  They do not adapt well to a change in their sleep patterns or day-to-day routine.  In fact, I warned Adam on the Sunday evening before school started to prepare for a long and difficult week.  Three of the four family members are adapting to a new normal, and it's going to involve grumpiness, busyness, and exhaustion that we aren't used to.

Vince has had some trouble adjusting to Patty's house.  He's cried everyday for a week when I leave him in the morning.  He does not willingly go to Patty, and several of the days he's cried as we walk in the door.  It makes me sad to leave him behind.  It's never easy to leave your kids when they're crying.  I always tell myself that he will be fine once I leave, and it is only worse if I stick around as he cries and reaches for me.  It's probably easier on everyone if I just go.  Patty says that he is super-busy at her house all day long.  That describes him perfectly.  He's non-stop and on the move.  He is also exhausted at the end of the day, even with his naps.  Poor guy!

As of now, it takes us a little less than 2 hours to get ready in the morning.  That includes me showering, getting completely ready, packing lunch, getting both kids dressed and fed, fixing Vera's hair, brushing her teeth, shoes for both kids, and out the door.  Occasionally I have a few extra minutes to think about plans for our evening dinner.  And, you never know when someone will wet the bed, have a surprise dirty diaper, spill their breakfast everywhere, and on and on...  I don't know how I will manage when we add a baby to the mix, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.  It's too bad Adam misses all of the morning excitement; he's out of the house by 5:30 everyday.  I miss his help in the mornings, but once we get our routine down, it is my life-line to get to work on-time.

I have about 4.5 weeks of school until our baby is due, and I'm hoping to take 12 weeks off.  I'm very busy getting things ready for a sub while I'm on maternity leave.  I have the same long-term sub that I had last year while on maternity leave with Vince, so I feel good about that.  Thankfully, my schedule at school is lighter than normal, and that makes a big difference!  Here's to another successful, healthy, and sane school year!

Teaching Year #11.

We had a few minutes to spare, and I managed to set the timer on my camera for the traditional first day picture.  I have a picture with the kids from all of my first days of school since Vera was born.  We had lots of outtakes.  Here's the best one.

No comments:

Post a Comment